Monday, September 5, 2011

Work. Oy Vey!

Today is Labor Day.

What an ironic holiday when you really think about it.

Because either you are unemployed, which means today is a slap in the face and a reminder of your failure as a human being living in a puritanical society, or you have a job and have to work (on a day meant to not work) or you don't have to work (which means more work for the rest of the week to catch up!)

It's really not fair any way you slice it. But if you have a job consider yourself blessed. Here are some great moments of TV characters getting fired or quiiting their job:

George quitting his job:



Kramer getting fired from a job he doesn't really have:


Homer Simpson's philosophy on work:



Enjoy your day off, America!


1 comment:

  1. You didn't include one of my favorite Simpson episodes when Homer quits his job. The video has expire on Hulu, but here is a transcript of the scene:

    Homer walks into Burns' office.

    Homer: Did you hear me? I said I quit, Monty! And since I quit, I can do anything I want.
    Burns: Is that so?
    Homer: Ooh, lovely desk. It would be too bad if someone, oh, I don't know...didn't use a coaster! [picks glass off coaster, puts it on the desk]
    Burns: [gasps]
    Homer: [laughs] Such a nice tidy office...maybe it's time you started living like a pig [empties single wad of paper from garbage pail onto floor]
    Burns: [stammers incoherently]
    Homer: Oh, I hope I haven't upset you...bongo-head! [starts playing the bongos on Burns' head, grunting along]
    Burns: [calm] Oh, I should be resisting this, but I'm paralyzed with ...and island rhythms.

    [Homer drives through the plant on an electric car]
    [everyone cheers as Homer continues playing]
    Carl: Yeah, way to play the boss' head like a bongo, Homer!
    Lenny: [moving to the beat] He's getting a pretty good sound out of that guy.

    Outside the plant, Homer tosses Burns off the cart with a "That's for employing me for eight years!" On his way across a wooden bridge, he
    tosses a match on it, setting it alight.

    ReplyDelete