Sunday, July 31, 2011

Why I dropped Facebook (and threw away my watch and don't pick up my phone)

So I dropped Facebook.

Yep.

I deactivated my account. And it's kind of a great rush. No more social pressure. No more checking to see if anyone "likes" my music video postings, my status updates, my comments, or anything in between.

It's like living in the 90's again. Remember that pre-social networking era?

When people would talk to one another. When we had answering machines and didn't wait for texts or returned calls. We just lived life and moved at our own brisk pace. Now there's no scientific study to prove what I'm about to write, nor is there any real proof to explain what I'm about to say, except pure human observation, but I am convinced that the current generation of young adults are less happy than any group before them. And I believe the reason for this stems from the constant need to publish every stupid thought they ever had and then be responded to in a timely manner.

I can remember (and I'm only 29) when someone would call and it might have taken a day or two to call them back. No one was offended. You just knew that if they were out for the day, they just wouldn't be able to get back to you in the timeliest manner. They were busy living life, and that was cool. But now, this young group can ask a question or post a picture via text, Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, Instagram, and blog and then get instant feedback.

But what if no one texts you back? Or comments on your page? Or likes your pictures? Or thinks your tweet is insightful? Because we have access to these ideas everywhere we go. iPhone. Computer. Cell Phone. There is no excuse not to respond, so I've decided to limit what the information I gather is. If I don't know your day was sucky, then I can't respond to it. And then you can't hate me for not knowing. It's weak logic, but logic none the less.  

The sad part is that this generation will know through silence that no one cares enough to reply. And that pressure carries on in daily life. You post a funny article and it's as if no one read it. You write about your day at the beach, and no one says, "sounds fun." It's like passive rejection on a daily (or hourly) basis. That just kills. Even if you want to admit it or not, you posted what you posted, or text what you text in hopes of a response, and then there is nothing. Not even a whimper. And you live with that realization in either a conscious or unconscious way.

Unless you are a pretty girl. Then EVERYONE wants to let you know they are aware!

This new way of communicating has to lead to unhappiness. And that ain't good.

So here's my solution. Start the revolution. Drop the social networking and go back to a simpler time. We may be able to regain our soul through a simple tech fast.

I remember one time I was sitting at a friends house. His phone was ringing. He didn't pick up. I was going insane. I was always taught to pick up the phone. I yelled at him to pick it up. He said, "Just because they called, doesn't mean I have to answer." That never occurred to me before. So I took that to heart. And sometimes I don't pick up. Then I knew a truck driver who never kept a watch. That made me insane, because I'm a time freak. But he told me, when I'm at work, my truck has a clock, and when I'm off work, I don't care what time it was. So I threw away my watch. It was amazing. Free at last. Free at last. Now I'm doing the same thing with Facebook. Just because you have something to say doesn't mean I need to know it, and just because I have something to say doesn't mean you have to read it. Or respond to it...

And on that note, lemme make you happy with some Van Morrison:


Listen to it. Don't listen to it. I don't care anymore. And that's the greatest feeling of all! 

1 comment: