Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The 405

I've been driving the 405 all week into Palos Verdes. I'm participating in an AP English Teaching conference. I'll write about that in another blog.

From my apartment, it takes an hour and a half to arrive at the high school and then two hours to get home.

This has been my view:

Yep.

I leave my place at 6:00am and leave the school around 4:00pm. And in between I'm perfecting my craft as an educator. But the traffic is just so evil. So stinkin' evil. Like Rosie O'Donnell in a bikini evil. 

Ya. Try not to think about that. 

While sitting in my car, I've noticed a lot of the same cars driving along side with me. Which has me assuming that this is their daily commute. Which has me want to cry for them. But if I started crying in the car, then I'd fog up my glasses and hit the car in front of me. And then I'd really have something to cry about because I don't have the best car insurance. 

So I just listen to talk radio, Jars of Clay, and Van Morrison. I find not thinking about the evil around me and focusing on the pleasures of voices less grating than mine is a much easier way to commute.   

3 comments:

  1. I'd go to eleven... when I had a job :/ -Jeremie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jars of Clay! Whoo hoo! :) Imagine this: going from Santa Monica College via Wilshire Blvd. on the bus in rush hour traffic to Westwood (2 hrs), then on another bus onto the 405 (1.5 hours). That was my life for a year and a half. Also: I'm jealous of your AP English teacher conference. I want to go to an AP Art History teacher conference. - Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful you two would comment :)

    ReplyDelete