Sunday, August 14, 2011

Are you Cereal?

What ever happened to all the great cereal commercials of my youth?

I was a child of the 1980s. That's right. I'm kind of old. Like "I'm an adult" old, not like, "please turn the music down" old.

Back to the 1980s cereal TV icons.

Was there anyone cooler than Sugar Bear? He was so laid back while others tried to steal his breakfast...never sweat'n a beat. What a good example. Even though he may have experimented with herbal concoctions; but I don't judge unsaved cartoon characters. 



Now compare him to the Trix Rabbit, who obviously has issues far beyond Trix cereal. His over reaction concerning not getting a bowl of cereal really comes across as rather pathetic and needy. And there is a huge inconsistency in the Trix Rabbit world, as he obviously dwells in the same universe as us, so why doesn't he just go to Vons and buy some cereal for himself? I find it hard to believe he doesn't have at least $3.50.


While I can buy the idea a cartoon rabbit bought a trench coat and hat, I find it silly that he can't afford a stupid box of cereal. And why didn't he just use his wardrobe money to just buy the Trix box to begin with? This really frustrates me to no end.

But even he was much better than the crap they are throwing at us today. For instance, this creepy commercial for Carmel Nut Crunch Cereal (BTW: I'm not even touching on this dumb name) has replaced the colorful unison of animation and purpose with slacker delight. No longer are the TV icons of my youth on, nor are there any icons with a direct agenda. At least Sugar Bear and the Trix Rabbit were after something or protecting something. These live action folks are passively sitting by eating cereal as the world around them judges their incompetent attitude:


What is the point here? That if I munch on Carmel Nut Crunch I'm going to creep out my pretty co-workers and infuriate my boss and potentially get fired?! I think I'll pass.

If only 1990 never had to come with it's sucky Nirvana attitude that promoted self loathing and isolation.



No comments:

Post a Comment